Introduction to Serving
In this introductory course, you will gain an understanding of fundamental steps of service. You will become well-versed in the terminology commonly used in the restaurant industry, and learn effective techniques to elevate your guests’ experience through intuitive service styles and successful upselling. Additionally, you will develop a strong foundation in food fundamentals, while also gaining a basic knowledge of spirits, cocktail creation, and wine service.
At the end of this course students will be able to:
1. Categorize typical duties for FOH and BOH staff; Identify the roles of other individuals within the organization.
2. Carry out the opening and closing duties of servers; Identify the appropriate tools needed by servers during service; Use a variety of techniques to enhance the ambiance of a restaurant.
3. Demonstrate knowledge of all key points of steps of service from start to finish; Use appropriate communication techniques to enhance guest experience.
4. Understand the different types of proteins and ways they are prepared and cooked. Be aware of common allergies, and how to communicate them to the chef.
5. Define the steps of wine service, identify types of glassware and what each is used for.
6. Demonstrate effective communication when recommending beverages to your guests and describe various spirit characteristics.
7. Illustrate a basic knowledge of the POS system Silverware, understand the layout of a kitchen chit, and explain the role and importance of Expo.
8. Demonstrate an understanding of the functions of Open Table, make, modify, and update a reservation; Describe the value of a soignee and how to update guest notes.
9. Provide documentation of Smart Serve certification and have a clear understanding of WHMIS.
10. Understand the importance of teamwork and going above and beyond in service, giving practical examples.